Misra Commission Report
H) EXAMINATION OF PERSONS OTHER THAN DEPONENTS
The Commission examined some of the public officers -- civil as also defence personnel -- who held offices in the administration hierarchy during the riots. In respect of the inquiry at Delhi the following were examined :
- 1. Shri P.G. Gavai, former Lt. Governor (up to 3-11-84).
2. Shri M.M.K. Wali, former Lt. Governor (from 4-11-84).
3. Shri S.C. Tandon, former Commissioner of Police.
4. Shri Ved Marwah, present Commissioner of Police.
5. Shri Gautam Kaul, Addl. Commissioner of Police.
6. Shri H.C. Jatav, former Addl. Commissioner of Police.
7. Shri O.P. Yadav, former SHO, Nizamuddin Police Station.
8. Shri R.S. Sethi, former District Magistrate.
9. Gen. A.S. Vaidya, former Chief of Army Staff.
10 Maj. Gen. J.S. Jamwal, GOC, Delhi Area.
11. Maj. J.S. Sandhu of the Sikh Light Infantry.
In regard to the inquiry at Kanpur, Brig. R.K. Kohli, the then Station Commander of Kanpur, Shri Brijendra, a member of the Indian Administrative Service and then Distt. Magistrate of Kanpur, Shri Nirmalendu Basu, Works Manager at the Small Arms Factory at Kanpur, Shri D.K. Gupta, then City Magistrate of Kanpur, and Capt. Bareth of the Maratha Light Infantry on duty at Kanpur during the riots, were examined.
The Commission was asked to permit cross-examination of these witnesses on more than one occasion but it was of the view that it would not be expedient to allow cross-examination. The request has, therefore, not been entertained.
The Commission visited certain affected areas and a Relief Camp at Delhi without any formal program. It made a visit to Panki Railway Station in Kanpur area. It also made a local inspection of an area within Dashmesh Nagar at Bokaro. A memorandum of local inspection was drawn up which is available in Vol. II at p. 2, Appendix 2.