GURDWARA SAHIB KUALA KRAI, KELANTAN
No. 174 Jalan Jirat, 18000 Kuala Krai, Kelantan
In the early 1920's, there were a few hundred Sikhs employed as railway construction workers who built the East Coast railway line, which had commenced from Gemas in the State of Negeri Sembilan, passed through the State of Pahang and terminated in Tumpat in the State of Kelantan. These Sikhs built a small Gurdwara Sahib beside the railway line about two kilometers away from the town of Kuala Krai.
Around the 1950's there were about 25 Sikh families residing in Kuala Krai. In 1956, these Sikhs built the present Gurdwara Sahib building on concrete stilts with wooden walls and a zinc roof, on a piece of land which is 1/2 acre in size. The Granthi Sahib's quarters are at the back of the Gurdwara Sahib building. There is also one room available for Sikh visitors. The original well is still in use. The water is now raised from this well by using an electric pump.
Bhai Harnam Singh served as a Granthi in this Gurdwara Sahib from 1954 to 1956 followed by Bhai Tahil Singh from 1956 to 1961 and Bhai Sajan Singh from 1961 to 1967. Since 1969, Sub Inspector (Rtd) Sardar Gormok Singh has been performing the duties of a Granthi, Caretaker, Secretary and Treasurer of this Gurdwara Sahib. Sardar Gian Singh s/o Late Sardar Gurdial Singh has been serving as the President of this Gurdwara Sahib for the past 30 years.
Gurmukhi classes were conducted by Sardar Gormok Singh from 1970 to 1976 but since then, due to lack of students, these classes were discontinued. Sardar Gormok Singh is presently the Principal of Khalsa School Kota Bahru where Gurmukhi classes are held every Saturday evening.
There are presently only three Sikh families who live in the Kuala Krai area.
The day of the normal weekly prayers is not fixed. These prayers are held at least once a week on a day that is convenient to the Sikh Sangat of Kuala Krai.