GURDWARA SAHIB SIBU, SARAWAK
NO. 32 Jalan Awang Ramli Amit, 96000 Sibu, Sarawak
At the beginning of the 20th Century, there were many Sikhs who were employed by the Sarawak Police Force or the Prisons Department. In 1928 these Sikhs built their first Gurdwara Sahib in Sibu. This Gurdwara Sahib was used as a place of prayer for 30 years before being demolished in late 1959 as its condition had deteriorated.
In early 1960, a new double storey semi-wooden and brick building was constructed at a cost of RM15,000.00. This new Gurdwara Sahib building was declared open by the then President, and the Sikh sangat on 8th May 1960.
The Darbar Sahib is located on the first floor. The ground floor consists of the langgar hall, kitchen, Granthi's quarters and four rooms for Sikh visitors. The Management Committee consists of the President, Secretary, Treasurer and six committee members.
Presently, there are four Sikh families who reside in Sibu who participate in the religious activities in this Gurdwara Sahib. The usual weekly prayers are held on Sunday mornings.