Gurudwara Ranjit Garh- Chamkaur
GURDWARA RANJIT GARH is on the eastern out skirts of the town. As Guru Gobind Singh was returning from Kurukshetra to Anandpur early in 1703, it so happened that two imperial generals, Sayyid Beg and Alif Khan, were also moving with a body of troops towards Lahore. Raja Ajmer Chand of Kahlur, who bore hostility towards him, persuaded these generals by promises of money to attack him. A skirmish occurred on the site of the present Gurdwara Ranjitgarh. The Sikhs, though surprised by a superior force, fought tenaciously. Sayyid Beg, when he came face to face with the Guru, was so affected by a sight of him that he immediately changed sides. Alif Khan, chagrined by his colleague's behaviour, attacked with redoubled vigour, but was repulsed. This happened on 16 Magh 1759 Bk/15 January 1703. Gurdwara Ranjitgarh was built only recently to mark the scene of this battle.