Gurdwara Shahid Baba Deep Singh, Dist. Amritsar
The great Sikh scholar and martyr Baba Deep Singh was mortally wounded here. In 1762 the Afghan invader Ahmed Shah Abdali ordered the Golden Temple blown up and the Sacred Tank filled in. Baba Deep Singh the greatest Sikh scholar of his time took up the sword on a mission to restore the sanctity of the Golden Temple. He along with five thousand faithful Sikhs fought against the Muslim forces of Jahan Khan. Although heavily outnumbered the Sikhs fought bravely. Baba Deep Singh was fatally wounded in the neck but had vowed to die in the precincts of the Golden Temple. Although mortally wounded Baba Deep Singh was able to continue fighting until he was able to make his way to the Sacred Pool of the Golden Temple where he finally expired.
Gurdwara Baba Deep Singh is located outside Chatiwind Gate in Amritsar.
It commemorates the unrivaled martyrdom of Baba Deep Singh ji who fought
valiantly and dauntlessly alongwith hundreds of soldiers in 1757 to liberate
Harimandir Sahib from the defiled clutches of Mughal invaders. Sardar
Jassa Singh Ramgarhia constructed a memorial to the famed martyr. In the
19th century Akali Phula Singh replaced the memorial platform into a magnificent
gurdwara. The Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee enlarged and developed
this important gurdwara into the present complex in the early 20s of this
Gurdwara Baba Deep Singh near the Chativind Gate of the walled city com-memorates the martyrdom ofBaba Dip Singh (q.v.) of the Shahid misi, who, coming from Damdama Sahib (Talvandi Sabo) in Bathinda district to liberate the Darbar Sahib, which had been attacked and desecrated by the Afghan invaders, was mortally wounded here on 11 November 1757. Jassa Singh (d. 1803) of Ramgarhia misi raised a memorial plat-form on the site which was developed into a g-urdwara byAkali Phula Singh (d. 1823). It was managed for long by the descendants of Sardar Karam Singh of Shahid misi, and was handed over to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee in 1924. The sur-rounding estate owned by the descendants of Jassa Singh Ramgarhia was also donated later to the Gurdwara Shahidganj.