Gurudwara Tharha Sahib
GURDWARA THARHA SAHIB, situated in a nar-row street called Bazar Tharha Sahib, a little way north of the Akal Takht, commemorates Guru Tegh Bahadur's visit to Amritsar in 1664. Soon after assuming office as Guru, he had come from Bakala to pay homage at the Harimandar, but the priests in charge who belonged to the rival Mina sect shut the doors of the holy shrine in his face. Guru Tegh Bahadur then sat praying for some time at the spot now marked by Gurdwara Tharha (lit. platform) Sahib and then went back towards the village of Valla. The Gurdwara is a two-storeyed domed structure. The Guru Granth Sahib is seated on the first floor. The ground floor which gives the look of a base-ment cellar has a platform and the stump of an old tree believed to be the one under which Guru Tegh Bahadur had sat.