Recipe : serves 4
- 3 Tbsp. Spice 'N Flavor Egg Masala
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or corn oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped ginger
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup light cream, unsweetened coconut milk or sour cream (optional)
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1 Tbsp. chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves (optional)
In a small bowl mix together Spice 'N Flavor Egg Masala, 1 tsp. salt and 2 Tbsp. water to make a paste and set aside.
In a medium pan or pot (non-stick is ideal) heat oil over moderate heat and saute onions, stirring, until soft and lightly browned, about 4 mins. Add ginger and spice paste and saute, stirring, until liquid has evaporated, about 3 mins.
Add tomatoes or tomato paste and 1/4 cup water and cook until tomatoes are soft and melted into sauce, about 5 mins. Add 1 cup water, cover mixture and simmer 5 to 7 mins.
Stir in cream, coconut milk or sour cream and simmer 3 mins. Add salt to taste.
Pour sauce into a large serving dish. Arrange egg halves in sauce, yolks facing up, and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice (steamed or pilaf) or with Indian bread such as puri or naan, pita bread or any other bread. May also be served over pasta.
For a spicier curry, increase the amount of Indias Spice 'N Flavor Egg Masala (or add 1 or 2 chopped fresh green cayenne or serrano chili when sauteing ginger and spice paste in step 2).
For a heartier dish, add cubed boiled potatoes along with the cream in step 4.