GURDWARA SAHIB MIRI, SARAWAK
NO. 8 Kubu Road, 98000 Miri, Sarawak
At the beginning of the 20th Century, there were a few Sikhs employed in the Sarawak Police Force stationed at Miri. With the opening of the Shell petroleum refinery, Sikhs were also employed in various posts. By the 1930s, there were about 240 Sikhs in Miri, including their families.
The first Gurdwara Sahib building in Miri was built in 1919. This Gurdwara Sahib was repaired and renovated over the years. It was finally demolished in 1974 as the building had fallen into disrepair.
The new double storey Gurdwara Sahib Miri building was built in 1974 / 75 on a piece of land which is 2,795 square metres in size. There are four small golden coloured domes in each corner with a larger central dome on the roof. The first floor comprises of the Darbar Sahib where the Holy Book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, is kept. The ground floor consists of the langgar (dining), kitchen and Granthi’s quarters. The cost of construction of the Gurdwara Sahib was RM275,000.00. The new Gurdwara Sahib building was officially declared open on 1" July 1975 by the Deputy Chief Minister of Sarawak, Datuk Alfred Jabu.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer and four committee members. There are about 30 students who study Gurmukhi and kirtan in this Gurdwara Sahib. Presently, there are 40 Sikh families in Miri who participate in the religious activities of this Gurdwara Sahib.
The weekly prayers are held on Sunday mornings. The Asa di War Kirtan commences at 5.00a.m. to 6.30a.m. followed by the regular kirtan, katha and prayers from 9.30a.m. to 12.00p.m.