GURDWARA SAHIB BAGAN SERAI, PERAK
Jalan Parit Buntar, 34300 Bagan Serai, Perak
In the early 1950's, there were about 15 Sikh families residing in Bagan Serai. Most of them were employed as watchmen, in private business and in Government service. In 1955, Sardar Santa Singh's land, which was 1 Rood and 3 Poles in size, was donated by his nephew to build a Gurdwara Sahib. The Gurdwara Sahib building, which was made of wooden planks, was completed at the end of 1955. This Gurdwara Sahib building was demolished in 1970 as it was too small and also needed major repairs.
By 1970, there were about 40 Sikh families residing in the Bagan Serai area. In 1970, these Sikhs built a Gurdwara Sahib building with wooden planks built The Palki in the Darbar Sahib within which is placed the Sikh Holy Book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji on concrete stilts at a cost of RM30,000.00. There is one room in the Gurdwara Sahib premises, which may be used by Sikh visitors.
Gradually, most of the Sikh families left this area for other nearby towns. By 1993, there were only 11 Sikh families residing around Bagan Serai. Presently, there are only three Sikh families in this area. Sardar Nahar Singh of Village Khara and his family, who stay opposite the Gurdwara Sahib, do the Parkash and Semapati of the Holy Book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and also serve as caretakers.