GURDWARA SAHIB MAINDUAB, KUALA LUMPUR
No. 75 Jalan Pudu Lama, 50200 Kuala Lumpur
The Sikhs from the 'Main Duab' region of Punjab who had settled in Kuala Lumpur decided to establish their own Gurdwara. The 'Main Duab' region included Ropar and Kharar Tehsils in the then Ambala District and villages of Patiala state adjoining the Ropar and Kharar Tehsils in East Punjab. Now this region is represented by the whole District of Ropar, part of Haryana and some border areas of Patiala state adjoining Ropar District and Haryana state.
Their first Gurdwara Sahib was built in 1928 largely due to the efforts of Shazada Singh, Kabal Singh, Atma Singh, Hazara Singh, Jiwan Singh and a few others. This Gurdwara Sahib was located in Station Road, Sentul, near the railway gate. It was made from wooden planks and had an attap roof.
Around 1932, this Gurdwara was moved to a location which was somewhere between the present Sentul Pasar market and a school. Sardar Sunder Singh Durali played an important role in acquiring the building for housing the Gurdwara Sahib.
In 1934 three lots of land measuring 1418 sq feet each were purchased at Old Pudu Road. A double storey building was put up which occupied half of the total area while the other half was left as open space for general use. In 1936, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji was ceremoniously brought from Sentul and installed here. Since then Gurdwara Sahib Mainduab has been functioning at this site.
This Gurdwara Sahib was registered with the Government in 1950. This move was made to ensure proper control over the management of funds.
Around 1962, a new three-storey building was built on the site of the old Gurdwara Sahib to serve the needs of the Sanuot. The three storeys comprised a basement, ground floor and the first floor for the Darbar Sahib. The foundation stone was laid by Babu Kishen Singh. The cost of this new Gurdwara Sahib building came to about RM400,000.00. For the official opening of this Gurdwara Sahib, an Akhand Paath was held from 8 March 1963 to 10 March 1963, Sant Baba Sohan Singh Ji of Malacca and the Panj Piyarae officially declared the new Gurdwara Sahib open. Sant Baba Sohan Singh Ji performed the raising of the keseri coloured Nishan Sahib (Flag) in the presence of the Sikh Sanuot. Giani Phuman Singh, the well-known parcharak from the Sikh Missionary Society Malaya in Singapore, was also present during this occasion.
After some time, the sanuot felt that another floor should be added to the building. Around 1968, the second floor was added making the building into a four-storey building. This floor, which is now air-conditioned, is used as the Darbar Sahib.
Giani Babu Singh Ji Village Dekwala. Ropar, a graduate of the Sikh Missionary College served as a Gamin in this Gurdwara Sahib for 36 years (1937 to 1973) prior to his retirement. He is also a well-known Sikh Missionary and poet.
There are about 300 Sikh families who participate in the religious activities in this Gurdwara. The normal weekly prayers are held every Sunday morning from 8.00 a.m. to 9.15 p.m. The Sikh Naujawan programme is held once a month on the Sangrand day. Other religious programmes are held as and when necessary upon request by the Sikh sangat (congregation).
There are currently about 30 students who attend Gurmukhi classes twice a week.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Secretary, Treasurer and their assistants as well as seven committee members. The Trustees of this Gurdwara Sahib at present are Dr Perdhaman Singh AMN, Sardar Ranjit Singh, Sardar Nand Singh, Sardar Kishen Singh and Sardar Nasib Singh.