GURDWARA SAHIB JALAN KAYU, SINGAPORE
(No longer exists)
In the 1930's, there were many Sikhs who served in the Additional Police Force in the Royal Air Force base in Seletar located at the end of Jalan Kayu. These Sikhs converted a hall located in their barracks into a Gurdwara Sahib. There was no Granthi so various police personnel used to perform the duties of the Granthi. Major Mehar Singh Moga and Sergeant-Major Hari Singh Roriwala played an important role in this Gurdwara Sahib's affairs in its early years.
At the end of the Japanese occupation in late 1945, the British re-occupied the Seletar Air Force Base. In early 1947, the British disbanded the Additional Police Force. In 1947, the Sikhs decided to build a Gurdwara Sahib in the nearby village in Jalan Kayu. Sardar Kehar Singh had a wooden house with an attap roof in the village. This house was converted into a Gurdwara Sahib at considerable expense. At the same time, six rooms were built next to the Gurdwara Sahib. The rent from these rooms was used to maintain this Gurdwara Sahib. Sardar Bur Singh Bulara played a prominent role in the completion of this building. Bhai Sohan Singh Mohanpura was appointed the first Granthi of this Gurdwara Sahib.
Gurdwara Sahib Jalan Kayu was registered with the Government as a place of prayer on 10th September 1958. In the 1960's, this Gurdwara Sahib surroundings still resembled a village atmosphere. Many new Sikh arrivals gradually moved into this area. Weekly prayers were held on Sundays. The Sangrand day and Pooranmassi days were always well attended by the Sangat of this area.
In the early 1990s, this Gurdwara Sahib was closed as this area had been earmarked for development. The assets of this Gurdwara Sahib were transferred to the new Gurdwara Sahib Yishun.
Reference: "Ithas Khalsa Dharmak Sabha Singapore" by Sardar Tara Singh Hathesi, Gujaranwalia, Singapore Page 228 (Published by Khalsa Dharmak Sabha, Singapore - April 1985)