GURDWARA SAHIB SIKH POLICE, PEARL HILL, SINGAPORE
(No longer exists)
The Straits Settlements Police in Singapore were established in 1874. The Sikh Police, who were staying in the barracks in Cantonment Road, had converted a small hall in their barracks into a temporary Gurdwara Sahib.
In 1881, the Police Force in Singapore was divided into two units, with one unit consisting mainly of Europeans and the second unit consisting mainly of Sikhs. The Sikh police and their families were all housed in the barracks in Pearl Hill. The Sikh Police built their first police Gurdwara Sahib in Pearl Hill, Singapore around 1881 - 1882. This Gurdwara Sahib was a single storey wooden building with a zinc roof.
There was also a separate City Police Force. The Sikhs serving in this City Police Force were scattered all over Singapore. All these Sikhs used to go to the Pearl Hill Police Gurdwara Sahib for prayers. The management of the Pearl Hill Gurdwara Sahib was under the control of the Pearl Hill Sikh Police. The senior Sikh Police officer was usually nominated as President. A knowledgeable religious police personnel was appointed to carry out the duties of a Granthi. His salary was also paid from Government funds.
In 1932, this Gurdwara Sahib was rebuilt into a permanent structure. Ten years later, in 1942, this Gurdwara Sahib was vacated due to the Japanese occupation of Singapore. The roof of the Gurdwara Sahib was damaged by the Japanese bombardment of the island. In September 1945, when the British re-occupied Singapore, they disbanded the Pearl Hill Police Force. The Gurdwara Sahib Sikh Police, Pearl Hill was closed and its assets were given to Gurdwara Sahib Silat Road.
Reference; "Ithas Khalsa Dharmak Sabha, Singapore" by Sardar Tara Singh Hathesi, Gujaranwalia, Singapore. Page 213 - 214. (Published by Khalsa Dharmak Sabha, Singapore - April 1985).