The Punjab Regiment.
Regimental Headquarters: Ramgarh, Bihar.
Regimental Insignia: A Galley, an ancient Greek or Roman warship, with a bank of oars and sail. It is perhaps the only infantry insignia of a naval vessel anywhere. It was awarded to 69th Punjabis (later 2 Punjab) in recognition of the readiness to serve overseas, after the battalion had fought in eight overseas campaigns by 1824.
Regimental Motto: Sthal Wa Jal (By Land and Sea).
Battle Cry: Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal (He who cries God is Truth, is Ever Happy).
.Bol Jawala Ma Ki Jai (Say Victory to Goddess Jawala).
Regimental Battalions: 3rd Battalion
.13th Battalion (former State Forces unit)
.14th Battalion (former State Forces unit)
.15th Battalion (former State Forces unit)
.16th Battalion (former State Forces unit)
• 1st Battalion ——–> 1 Parachute (Special Forces)
• 2nd Battalion ——–> 1 Guards
• 4th Battalion ——–> Disbanded in 1938
• 7th Battalion ——–> 8th Mech. Inf.
• 8th Battalion ——–> Disbanded after World War II
• 10th Battalion ——-> Regimental Centre
• Battle Honours: Zojila, Icchogil, Dograi, Burki, Kalidhar, Bedori, Nangi Tekri, Brachil Pass, Longewala and Garibpur.
• Honours & Awards: 2 Padma Bushan, 1 Padma Shri, 4 Param Vishisht Seva Medals, 18 Maha Vir Chakras, 9 Kirti Chakras, 1 Uttam Yudh Seva Medal, 6 Ati Vishisht Seva Medals, 56 Vir Chakras, 29 Shaurya Chakras, 1 Yudh Seva Medal, 121 Sena Medals, 19 Vishisht Seva Medals and 117 Mention-in-Despatches.
• Comments: The Punjab Regiment is one of the oldest in the Indian Army. It traces its origins to 1761 when the first battalion was raised at Trichinopoly. The first four battalions of what later became the 2nd Punjab Regiment and finally the Punjab Regiment, were raised during the hostilities in the Carnatic in south India between 1761 and 1776. The numbers and titles of the battalions changed during the successive reorganisations of the Madras Presidency Army and later of the Indian Army during the 18th, 19th and 20th Centuries. The names changed from Coast Sepoys to Carnatic Battalions to Madras Native Infantry to The Punjab Regiment. The Regimental Centre was first raised at Loralai and was shifted to Multan in 1922, Meerut in 1929 and its present location in Ramgarh, Bihar in 1976.
In 1951, four battle experienced battalions of the former princely states of Punjab, joined the Regiment. These were a battalion each from the Jind and Nabha State Forces and the First and Second Battalions of Patiala Infantry. They are now designated as the 13, 14, 15 and 16 Punjab. Additional battalions were raised since 1963. In recent years, the Punjab Regiment has contributed towards UN Peacekeeping Operations by sending two of its battalion overseas i.e. in Gaza and Angola (3 and 14 Punjab respectively).
Courtesy: Bharat Rakshak.com