Gurudwara Ramsar Sahib – Amritsar
Among the other famous historical shrines located in the city of Amritsar is the Ramsar Gurudwara situated on the bank of the pool of the same name. Located north-east from the Golden Temple, this place is, where Guru Arjun Dev for a year or more went into seclusion along with his scribe, the great savant Bhai Gurdas to compile the holy Adi Granth. The sacred volume was completed in 1604 and installed with due honor and ceremonies in the Harmandir Sahib In this holy book, Guru Arjun Dev collected the hymns of first four Gurus, namely Guru Nanak, Guru Angad, Guru Amar Das, Guru Ram Das and adding his own compositions as well as selections from the writings of the Hindu and Muslim mystic saints.
The selection for the holy scripture was based on the principle of the unity of God and the brotherhood of mankind. In this unique holy book is preserved the purity (‘f the scriptures, embodying, the philosophy of the Gurus for the perpetual guidance of the Sikhism and other faiths.
This holy Adi Granth was arranged according to the musical measures or notes in which they were intended to be sung. The holy book was given the status of the Guru by Guru Gobind Singh. Just before he left for his abode in heaven on October 7, 1708, in his wisdom he proclaimed, "Accept Guru Granth Sahib as the visible image of the Guru. Those whose hearts are pure can find the truth in the shabad". This was the last injunction to the Sikhs of the Tenth Guru. He put an end to apostolic succession and enjoined upon the Sikhs to look upon the Granth Sahib as their only Guru in future. There lies the importance of the place where this sacred volume was compiled by Guru Arjun Dev. Gurudwara Ramsar is held in great reverence by the Sikhs.
Gurudwara Ramsar stands on the bank of the Ramsar sarovar, near Chativind Gate, on the southeastern side of the walled city. After the completion of the Harimandar, Guru Arjan undertook the compilation of Adi Granth, the Holy Book, now revered as Guru Granth Sahib. For this task, he chose a se-cluded site. The spot selected was then a shady nook, one km away from the bustle of the town. To make the surroundings more agreeable, he had a tank dug which was named Ramsar after Guru Ram Das. Here, Guru Arjan composed his famous Sukhmani, the Psalm of Peace, and with Bhai Gurdas as his scribe compiled the Adi Granth during 1603-04. The present Gurdwara Ramsar, a small marble-lined hall topped by a gilded, fluted lotus dome built in 1855, marks the site of the Guru’s labours.