GURDWARA SAHIB MALIM NAWAR, PERAK
31700 Malim Nawar, Perak
In the 1920s, the Sikh community of Malim Nawar was mainly employed as tin dredge workers in the various tin mines in this area. The Perak River Hydro Electric Company also engaged a few of them while others were dairy farmers and bullock cart drivers.
The original Gurdwara Sahib building was located near Bunga Taiping. which is about 1 1/, miles from the site of the present Gurdwara Sahib. Sardar Kishen Singh Baba Bakala, Sardar Moola Singh, Sardar Chet Singh and Sardar Jagat Singh undertook a leading role in the construction of this Gurdwara Sahib.
The State Government of Perak gazetted the present site of the Gurdwara Sahib in Malim Nawar, which is 1/2 acre in size, as a Sikh Temple Reserve on 9th September 1936. The Land Title was issued under the names of Sardar Charan Singh, Sardar Arjan Singh, Sardar Sadhu Singh, Sardar Bhagat Singh and their successors. The Gurdwara Sahib building, a single storey wooden structure, was built on this new site in late 1936. This Gurdwara Sahib was used by the sangat for nearly 33 years before being demolished in 1969.
The present Gurdwara Sahib building, a single storey concrete structure with an asbestos roof, was built in 1970 at a cost of RM28,000.00. Baba Tahel Singh laid the foundation stone of this Gurdwara Sahib. The newly completed Gurdwara Sahib building was officially declared open by the Sikh sangat on 13th March 1973.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer and six committee members. There are about 15 Sikh students who attend Gurmukhi classes three times a week in this Gurdwara Sahib.
There are 22 Sikh families who reside in this area and participate in the religious activities in this Gurdwara Sahib. The normal weekly prayers are held on Sunday morning from 9.00a.m. to 10.00a.m. The Isteri Satsang programme is held on the first Saturday of each month from 7.00p.m. to 8.00p.m.