GURDWARA SAHIB SANDAKAN, SABAH
Jalan Buli, Sim Sim, 90007 Sandakan, Sabah
In the early years of the 20th Century, there were a few Sikhs in the Police Force known as the British North Borneo Company’s Government Armed Constabulary. In 1924, these Sikhs built the first Gurdwara Sahib building in Sandakan. It was a double storey wooden structure built on a land area of, 10,890 square feet in size. This Gurdwara Sahib was officially declared opened in 1925. This Gurdwara Sahib building was demolished in 1985 to make way for the link road to Buli Sim Sim.
The new Gurdwara Sahib building, a double storey brick structure with a tiled roof was built in 1993. It was officially declared open on 4th September 1994. The cost of this Gurdwara Sahib was RM150,000.00. The ground floor has the langgar hall, kitchen, Granthi’s quarters and two rooms for visitors. The Darbar Sahib is located on the first floor.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer and four committee members. The present Trustees of the Gurdwara Sahib are Sardar Devinder Singh and Sardar Gurdif Singh. There are four Sikh families presently residing in Sandakan who participate in the religious activities in this Gurdwara Sahib. The normal weekly prayers are held on Sunday mornings at 9.30a.m.