GURDWARA SAHIB SITIAWAN, PERAK
No. 87 Kampong Selamat, 32000 Sitiawan, Perak
In the 1920’s, the Sikhs who settled around the Sitiawan area were mostly watchmen or bullock cart operators. These Sikhs, under the leadership of Sardar Ram Singh s/o Bhag Singh Sandhu (Village Ruriwala, Amritsar) built the first Gurdwara Sahib in Sitiawan in 1919 on a piece of land, measuring 0.694 acres. It was a single storey wooden building with a zinc roof. This Gurdwara building was renovated on several occasions before being vacated in 1972. The old Gurdwara Sahib building still exists and is located a few feet away from the present Gurdwara Sahib.
The new Gurdwara Sahib building was built in 1972. Sant Baba Jawala Singh Ji of Bidor laid the foundation stone of this Gurdwara Sahib building in July 1972. The completed Gurdwara Sahib building was officially declared open in September 1972 by Dato’ Seri Raja Shariman, Orang Besar Jajahan Daerah (District) Manjong, Perak. The cost of this new single storey concrete structure amounted to RM30,000.00.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer and seven committee members. The present Trustees of this Gurdwara Sahib are Dr. Mohan Singh and Dr. Manjit Singh s/o Achar Singh Sandhu.
There are presently 60 Sikh families who reside around Sitiawan and participate in the religious activities in this Gurdwara Sahib. There are about 42 Sikh students who study Gurmukhi once a week in this Gurdwara Sahib.
The weekly prayers are held on Sunday mornings from 9.00a.m. to 10.00a.m. The Isteri Satsang programme is held every Wednesday afternoon from 4.00p.m. to 6.00p.m.