GURDWARA SAHIB TANJONG RAMBUTAN, PERAK
Jalan Ipoh, 31250 Tanjung Rambutan, Perak
Around the late 1910s, there were a few Sikhs who were dairy farmers and bullock cart drivers. Some of the Sikhs also worked in the mental hospital that was established later at Tanjong Rambutan. Around 1919, these Sikhs established a Gurdwara Sahib at the present site, which is about 100 feet x 400 feet in size. This was a single storey wooden structure with a tiled roof. The Gurdwara Sahib land was gazetted as a Sikh Temple Reserve Grant Number 290 dated 17th January 1919. This Gurdwara Sahib was used nearly 50 years before it was demolished in 1969.
The foundation stone of the new two storey Gurdwara Sahib building was laid by Sant Baba Sohan Singh Ji of Malacca on 16th November 1968. H.R.H. The Sultan of the State of Perak, Sultan Idris Al Mutawakkil Alallahi Shah officially declared this Gurdwara Sahib open on 17th October 1969.
The first floor comprises of the Darbar Sahib where the Sikh Holy Book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is kept. The ground floor consists of the Guru Ka Langgar hall, kitchen, Granthi’s quarters and three rooms for Sikh visitors. The cost of this new Gurdwara Sahib building was RM75,000.00 out of which RM25,000.00 was donated by the Government. Bhai Tahel Singh served as a Granthi here for about 20 years from 1971 to 1991. Bibi Jaswinder Kaur performed the duties of a Granthi from 1991 to 2002 when she retired.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer and six committee members. There are about 50 Sikh students who attend Gurmukhi classes in this Gurdwara Sahib on Fridays from 8.00p.m. to 9.30p.m. Approximately 60 Sikh families, who reside around the Tanjong Rambutan area, participate in the religious activities held in this Gurdwara Sahib.
The weekly prayers are held on Sunday mornings from 6.00a.m. to 8.00a.m.