GURDWARA SAHIB TRONOH MINES, KAMPAR, PERAK
Tronoh Mines, 31910 Kampar, Perak
By the 1930’s, there was a large community of Sikhs in this area who worked in the Tronoh mines. They also kept cows to supplement the family income. The first Gurdwara was established in 1961. A former wooden police barrack which had been vacated by the Police, was purchased for RM3,000.00. The location of this first Gurdwara was at the entrance to the Tronoh Mines Chinese New Village.
In 1966, these ‘Sikhs decided to build a Gurdwara Sahib at the present location to serve their religious needs. The foundation stone of this Gurdwara Sahib was laid by the Panj Piyarae on 13th April 1966, Vesakhi Day. The management committee together with the Sikh Sangat declared the Gurdwara Sahib building open on 5th November 1966. The cost of this single storey Gurdwara Sahib came to RM5,000.00 out of which RM3,000.00 was donated by Tronoh Mines Private Limited. The Gurdwara Sahib is situated on a piece of land, which is a 1/4 acre in size.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer and five committee members. Bhai Pritam Singh Village Gurditpura, Patiala served as a Granthi in this Gurdwara Sahib for a period of 11 years from 1976 to 1987. Bhai Karam Singh Village Karaadwala, Bhatinda, has been performing the duties of a Granthi since 1990 in Gurdwara Sahib Tronoh Mines. Upon request, he also performs the duties of a Granthi in the Gurdwara Sahib Changkat Tin, Air Papan and the Tanjong Tuallang Sikh Settlement in the State of Perak.
There are presently about 18 Sikh families who reside around the Tronoh Mines area and who participate in the religious activities held in this Gurdwara Sahib. The weekly prayers are held on Sunday mornings from 10.00a.m. to 11.00a.m.