Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib
The ancient town of Sirhind is replete with ruins of beautiful mosques and tombs. During Mughal days it was a town of considerable importance. Its ancient fort was built by ‘Firoz Tughlaq’. The Fatehgarh Sahib Gurdwara marks the spot, where the two brave children, the younger sons of Guru Gobind Singh died for the noble cause. They refused to be converted to Islam during the reign of Emperor Aurangzeb.
After the heroic death of two elder sons of Guru Gobind Singh, in the battle of Chamkaur, on December22, 1704 his two younger sons, namely, Zorawar Singh and Fateh Singh were done to death, by being bricked alive in the fort of Sirhind on December 28, 1704 by the order of the tyrant Nawab Wazir Khan. Mata Gujri, grandmother of the two Sahibzadas expired due to the shock of brutal murder of her two grand children. A Hindu Philanthropist Dewan Todar Mal cremated three dead bodies with the help of other devotees of the Guru. He purchased the land by paying gold coins to the muslim Zamindar named Atta. Here stands the Gurdwara Jyoti Swarup. A big hall with a seating capacity for 5,000 persons has been recently constructed. It has been named Dewan Todar Mal Hall.
At short distance is the Rauza of Hazrat Mirajabad-ud-din Alaf Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi. Thousands of pilgrims from all over the world visit Sirhind to pay respects to Gurdwara Fatehgarh Sahib and Rauza Sharif. To the south-east of the city is a Caravan Serai of the Mughal period known as Aam-Khas Bagh. It has now been converted into a tourist complex where suitable accommodation is available at reasonable rates.
Sirhind is 53 km from Chandigarh airport. It is well connected by road and is a railway junction too. On the Sher Shah Suri Marg towards Ludhiana city is located, a floating restaurant, in the Nangal Hydel Canal. It is a big attraction for tourists, both Indians and foreigners.
Gurdwara Fatehgarh Sahib is situated in Fatehgarh Sahib on Sirhind-Morinda Road. The town of Morinda is 15 kms from this place, whereas town of Sirhind is 2 kms.