Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Gateway to Sikhism

Nanavati Commission Report







As the evidence consisting of affidavits and depositions of witnesses revealed involvement of some Congress (I) leaders and workers and also of some local persons, the Commission thought it proper to issue notices to such persons under Section 8B of the Commissions of Inquiry Act. On consideration of the evidence of witnesses and also other material consisting of police records, reports etc. it also appeared to the Commission that conduct of certain police officers and policemen was also required to be inquired into. Therefore, notices under Section 8B were gien to them also. They were all given an opportunity of being heard and to produce evidence in their defence. To the extent it was possible, they were also supplied with copies of the evidence against them. They were also informed, as and when they appeared before the Commission, that they were permitted to inspect the record for preparing their defence.


On scrutiny of the evidence relating to the Gurdwara Rakab Ganj in New Delhi District it appeared to the Commission that though policemen were posted there, they did nothing to prevent an attack on the Gurdwara or to disperse the mobs which had gathered near the Gurdwara. The evidence of S/Shri Mukhtiar Singh, Ajit Singh, Satnam Singh and Monish Sanjay Suri disclosed that the policemen posted there had remained completely passive and had failed to perform their duty. Their statements show the presence of Sub Inspector Hoshiar Singh and range in charge Shri Gautam Kaul at the time of incident. Therefore, notices were issued to Sub Inspector Hoshiar Singh and Shri Gautam Kaul. As the evidence of those witnesses also disclosed presence of Shri Kamal Nath and Shri Vasant Sathe in the mob and some participation by them, notices were also issued to them.

Shri Vasant Sathe has denied his present at the place of incident. Shri Monish Sanjay Suri, a Journalist and Shri Ajit Singh have not spoken about presence of Shri Vasant Sathe in the mob. He is involved by Shri Mukhtiar Singh for the first time after a lapse of about 16 years. Shri Vasant Sathe in his reply has stated that on 1-11-84 at around 11 a.m. he was present at Teen Murti Bhawan where the body of Smt. Indira Gandhi was kept. While he was there he was interviewed by T.V. crew of Delhi Doorshan in which he had appealed to the people to remain calm and not to indulge in any kind of anti social activities. He had also stated that the Sikh community is very patriotic and they have made a lot of sacrifices in attaining independence and and in the freedom movement and for the mistake of two persons of the community the whole community should not be blamed or condemned. He has denied to have gone near Gurudwara Rakab Ganj on that day at any time. Shri Mukhtiar Singh’s version is that Shri Vasant Sathe and Shri Kamal Nath were together when Shri Kamal Nath was instigating the mob. On consideration of the other material which does not support the version of Shri Mukhtiar Singh and the reply of Shri Sathe, it appears that Shri Mukhtiar Singh had a wrong impression about the presence of Shri Vasant Sathe.

Shri Kamal Nath, in his affidavit, has stated that in the afternoon of 1-11-84, on receiving information that some violence was taking place in and around Gurudwara Rakab Ganj Sahib, he as a senior and responsible leader of the Congress Party decided to go there. When he reached there, he found that lots of people were standing outside the Gurudwara and para military personnel were also present. He tried to find out from various persons in the mob as to why they had gathered there and why they were agitated. He was told that some Hindu men and women were kept inside the Gurudwara forcibly and that was the main reason why they were agitated. By that time the Commissioner of Police came there. He felt satisfied that police would be able to control the situation, so he left that place. He has further stated that while he was near the Gurudwara he had tried to persuade the crowd to disperse and not to take law into their hands. He had also told the crowd that since the police had arrived, it was their job to ensure safety of the Hindus, if any, inside the Gurudwara and that the police would be able to control the situation. He has denied that he gave instructions to any one to resort to firing. He has also denied that he had either led that mob or had any control over the mob.

Reply filed by Shri Kamal Nath is vague. He has not clearly stated at what time he went there and how long he remained there. The situation at the Gurudwara had become very grave at about 11.30 a.m. and continued to remain grave till about 3.30 p.m. The evidence discloses that Shri Kamal Nath was seen in the mob at about 2 p.m. The Police Commissioner had reached that place at about 3.30 p.m. So he was there for quite a long time. He has not stated whether he went to the Gurudwara alone or with some other persons and how he went there. He has not stated that he looked for the police or tried to contact the policemen who were posted there for ensuring that the situation remained under control. He left that place after the Commissioner of Police arrived. He has not stated that he met him. He was a senior political leader and feeling concerned about the law and order situation went to the Gurudwara and therefore it appears little strange that he left that place abruptly without even contacting the police officers who had come there. At the same time it is also required to be considered that he was called upon to give an explanation after about 20 years and probably for that reason he was not able to give more details as regards when and how he went there and what he did. Shri Suri has said that Shri Kamal Nath and tried to persuade the mob to disperse and the mob had retreated for some time. Therefore, it would not be proper to come to the conclusion that Shri Kamal Nath had in any manner instigated the mob. Shri Mukhtiar Singh, Shri Ajit Singh were quite far away from the place where Shri Kamal Nath stood amongst the mob and they could not have heard anything that Shri Kamal Nath told to the persons in the mob. What Shri Mukhtiar Singh and Ajit Singh have stated about what Shri Kamal Nath did is by way of an inference drawn by them from the gestures that were made by Shri Kamal Nath while talking to the persons in the mob. In absence of better evidence it is not possible for the Commission to say that he had in any manner instigated the mob or that he was involved in the attack on the Gurudwara.

Shri Gautam Kaul, who was the Additional Commissioner of New Delhi Range, has stated in his explanation that on 1-11-84 he was assigned specifically the charge of looking after law and order arrangement at Teen Murti House and to handle VIP visits. He had also to look after the security of newly appointed Prime Minister Shri Rajiv Gandhi. While he was in the premises of Teen Murti House, at about 12.30 p.m., a wireless message was picked up by his wireless operator informing that an agitated crowd was moving towards Gurudwara Rakab Ganj and there was a request for force. After some time another message was heard on wireless that the Commissioner of Police himself was going with an armed force to deal with the crowd. Till about 3.30 p.m. he was busy controlling the crowd at Teen Murti House. After making proper arrangements there he decided to move out for local tour. While driving past Gurudwara Rakab Ganj, he found a group of 40 persons still roaming on the main road. Seeing a police car a section of this group ran away but a small defiant group did not react to his presence. Inspite of his telling them that prohibitory orders against assembling were in force they did not move away so he threatened them that he would return with armed party and deal with them in an appropriate manner and tried to create an impression that he was going with a view to come back with more police force. Thereupon that small group had also withdrawn from that place. He has further stated that at about 4 p.m. he had returned to Teen Murti House. He was further stated that he was near the Gurudwara for about 10 to 12 minutes and it is wrong to say that a mob had tried to enter the Gurudwara in his presence.

What he was stated is not consistent with the other evidence. The situation near the Gurudwara was very tense till about 3.30 p.m. i.e. till the Police Commissioner reached there with a big force. Even thereafter for some time the situation there was not normal. Therefore, it is difficult to believe that he went near the Gurudwara some time between 3.30 p.m. and 4 p.m. and at that time only a small crowd was near it. Shri Monish Sanjay Suri has spoken about presence of Shri Gautam Kaul while there was a big mob outside the Gurudwara and it was making an attempt to enter the Gurudwara. Though there does not appear to be any reason for Shri Monish Suri to falsely say something against Shri Kaul, in view of the discrepancy in his evidence as regards the time when he reached there, the Commission is not inclined to record a finding against him that he failed to perform his duty as alleged against him. The evidence of Shri Mukhtiar Singh and Shri Suri is also not consistent on the point.

Shri Hoshiar Singh, in his reply, has stated that large number of persons returning from Teen Murti House had come near the Gurudwara as there was a bus stand nearby. As they were not able to get buses immediately, they remained near the Gurudwara. They were raising anti-Sikh slogans. Sewadars of the Gurudwara were roaming in the Gurudwara premises with open Kirpans and ‘Bhallas’. Some of them rebuked those persons who were raising anti-Sikh slogans. That had proved the mob and the situation had become tense. So he had informed the Station House Officer Shri T.S. Bhalla about the situation. He alongwith other officers had gone inside the Gurudwara at about 9 a.m. and met Shri Gian Singh who was the Jathedar and advised the persons there to remain inside and to refrain from making provocating gestures. The police had then taken effective steps to disperse the mob and he himself had fired three rounds in the air from his revolver. He denied that two Sikhs were burnt in presence of the police. He has denied that he had given his revolver to a person in the mob and told him to fire at the Gurudwara. According to him what had happened was that someone in the mob had snatched the revolver of Shri Satpal Singh, a Member of Parliament. That was recovered and subsequently deposited in the Malkhana. According to him because of the effective steps taken by him and the other policemen, no person in the Gurudwara was injured. He has stated that right from the 7’O clock on that day he was near the Gurudwara with 5 other policemen. At about 1 p.m., 12 home guards were made available to him.

Thus according to Sub Inspector Shri Hoshiar Singh he had effectively controlled the situation at the Gurudwara. If he is right then it is difficult to understand why the Police Commissioner was required to rush to that place with a big police force at about 3.30 p.m. A huge crowd had remained near the Gurudwara from about 11.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. Damage was caused to the Gurudwara and there was great tension. His explanation is not only vague but evasive also. He has nothing to say about how damage was cause to the Gurudwara without the mob going inside the Gurudwara and how the two Sikhs were burnt alive there and why there was firing from inside the Gurudwara. It appears to the Commission that Hoshiar Singh and his men did not take effective steps to protect the Gurudwara and to disperse the mob which had gathered there. Not a single person from the mob which had entered the Gurudwara or was trying to enter the Gurudwara was apprehended by him or by his team. No force appears to have been used by them to check the riotous crowd. The fact that the mob was big cannot justify inaction on his part and the other policemen. It is a clear case of dereliction of duty on the part of Shri Hoshiar Singh and the policemen who were posted there and therefore the Commission recommends that the Government should initiate appropriate action against him and those policemen who were with him.

The evidence of Shri Ram Bilas Paswan (W-135) and the statement of Shri Inder Mohan clearly disclose involvement of Congress (I) workers in the incidents referred to by them. On the basis of the evidence of Shri Khushwant Singh (Witness-7), Ms. Jaya Jaitly (Witness-5), Shri Ashok Jaitly (Witness-24) and other witnesses, the Commission is also of the view that the policemen posted at some places in this area watched the violent incidents as spectators and did not perform their duty of preventing the mobs from doing so.

Goto Top


From the material with respect to the incidents which happened in the Central District, it appeared to the Commission that Congress (I) Leaders S/Shri Dharam Dass Shastri, Tek Chand Sharma, Rajinder Sharma, Hem Chander and Shri Mahesh Yadav were the persons who instigated the mobs or took part in the violent attacks. It also appeared to the Commission that SI Om Prakash and ASI Rameshwar were negligent in performance of their duty when a riotous mob had attacked Marina Store. It also appeared to the Commission that DCP Shri Amodh Kanth and Station House Officer Shri S.S. Manan had not performed their duty properly during the incident which happened on 5-11-84 near the house of Shri Trilok Singh. Therefore, notices u/s 8B were issued to all those persons. Notices to Sub Inspector Om Prakash and Assistant Sub Inspector Rameshwar could not be issued as their addresses did not become available inspite of efforts made in that behalf. Notices were served upon S/Shri Dharam Dass Shastri, Tek Chand Sharma, Rajinder Prasad Sharma, Hem Chander and Shri Mahesh Yadav. Shri Amod Kanth and Shri S.S. Manan were also served with the notices. Shri Tek Chand Sharma and Shri Rajinder Sharma did not file any reply but appeared through their advocate Shri Vinod Khanna who after perusing the record submitted that the allegations made against them are not true. S/Shri Dharam Dass Shastri, Mahesh Yadav and Hem Chander have replied to the notices. Shri Amod Kanth and Shri S.S. Manan have also filed their explanations.

There was an attack on the house of Shri Avtar Singh on 1-11-84. The affidavits of Shri Avtar singh and Shri Chuni Lal and the evidence given by Shri Daljinder Singh indicate that at the instance of Shri Dharam Dass Shastri, who was a Congress (I) MP at the relevant time, Shri Tek Chand Sharma and Shri Rajinder Singh alongwith other persons attacked the house of Shri Avtar Singh. Shri Dharam Dass Shastri, is stated to have gone to the house of Shri Tek Chand on the previous night and instigated him and others who were present there to kill Sikhs and that Shri Tek Chand and two or three other persons who were with Shri Dharam Dass Shastri at the house of Shri Tek chand were seen in the mob which had attacked the house of Shri Avtar Singh on the following morning. The attack had continued for quite a long time and as Shri Tek Chand and those two or three named persons were from the same locality, the witnesses were able to recognize them. Even though a written complaint was given on 1-11-84 to the police for this incident, no offence was registered till 28-11-84. Inspite of the fact that these persons were named in the complaint and an offence was also registered, no further action was taken against them by the police. Shri Dharam Dass Shastri has in his reply denied the allegations made against him. But when a written complaint was made to the police with specific allegations against those persons it was the duty of the police to properly investigate that offence and file a chargesheet against the accused found to be involved. There is further evidence suggesting that Shri Dharam Dass Shastri was actively involved in the riots in this area. There is also evidence of Shri Bua Singh, Amrik Singh and Shri Harvinder Singh indicating involvement of Shri Dharam Dass Shastri in the riots in this area. Bua Singh has stated that Shri Dharam Dass Shastri and Shri Rajinder had come near his house and at that time Shri Dharam Shastri had told Shri Rjainder to get more persons and kill Sikhs. Shri Amrik Singh has stated that while his shop was looted, Shri Rajinder and Shri Dharam Dass Shastri were leading that mob. Shri Dharam Dass Shastri was also telling the mob to burn houses of Sikhs. Shri Harvinder Singh has also stated that Shri Dharam Dass Shastri was telling the persons in the mob to kill sikhs and loot them. It has also come in evidence that on 5-11-84, he alongwith some Municipal Councilors and about 3000 persons had gone to the Karol Bagh Police Station as stated by witnesses S/Shri Pritipal Singh, Ranbir Singh and Monish Sanjay Suri.

Shri Dharam Dass Shastri had requested for cross examination of the persons who have filed affidavits against him and also for permission to produce three police officers as defence witnesses. On his request Shri Amod Kanth who was the DCP at the relevatn time was called for cross-examination. Other request was not pursued. What has been taken out in the cross-examination of Shri Amod Kanth is that Shri H.C. Jatav had not used harsh words against him. Shri H.C. Jatav has, however, reiterated that there was disagreement between him and Shri H.C. Jatav. He admitted that he had issued a clarification in a newspaper and had denied therein that the Station House Officer was manhandled by the Member of Parliament or any other elected representative. The evidence of Shri Amod Kanth and the report made by him to his superior officers on 7-11-84 support to some extent the evidence of these witnesses. The version of the witnesses and Shri Amod Kanth deserves to be believed in absence of a better explanation from Shri Dharam Dass Shastri as to why he had gone to the Police Station. He had gone there with other local leaders for release of persons who were arrested for looting or being in possession of looted goods. Shri Dharam Dass Shastri had condemned the police for arresting the rioters by stating that they could not have been treated as criminals. The report further shows that the police officers were threatened with dire consequences if they took any action against those persons for being in possession of looted property. The Commission, therefore, is of the view that there is credible evidence against Shri Dharam Dass Shastri who was a Congress (I) leader of the locality, that he had instigated his men Shri Tek Chand Sharma and Shri Rajinder Singh to organize attack on Sikhs. The Commission recommends to the Government that it should examine the relevant material and direct investigation or further investigation as may be found necessary with respect to the aforesaid allegations.

Two witnesses speak about the involvement of Shri Hem Chander and Shri Mahesh Yadav, both Congress (I) workers, in the incidents which happened in Inderpuri on 1-11-84. gurcharan Singh has stated that a mob, which had looted his truck at about 11 a.m., was led by Shri Hem Chander and that Shri Mahesh Yadav had come near his house in a jeep and distributed petrol cans to the mob which had thereafter attacked his house and burnt his father alive. Shri Kripal Singh Chawla has also spoken about the role played by Shri Mahesh Yadav and Shri Hem Chander at about 10 a.m. when he was attacked and partly burnt. In their replies to the notices issued to them they have denied those allegations by stating that they had not committed such acts. Shri Hem Chander has also produced a copy of the judgement delivered in Sessions No.73 of 1995 to show that he was acquitted by the Court of Additional Sessions Judge, Delhi in that case. A perusal of that judgement shows that the allegations made against Shri Hem Chander and his son was in respect of burning Jagat Singh alive and also for causing damage to his house. In that case Gurcharan Singh was cited as an eyewitness but he could not be examined by the prosecution because he had gone to USA and died there on 20-01-2000. His brother Sukhbir Singh had given evidence regarding the attack and stated that he did not identify anyone from the crowd as he had hidden himself on the second flor of the house alongwith other family members. It was for that reason that the Court of the Additional Sessions Judge, Delhi had acquitted Shri Hem Chander and his son. Therefore, it cannot be concluded from the said judgement that what Shri Gurucharan has said in his affidavit is not true. What Shri Kirpal Singh Chawla has said in his affidavit also remains unshaken. The evidence of these two witnesses establishes that Shri Hem Chander and Shri Mahesh Yadav, who were Congress (I) workers of Rajinder Nagar locality, had taken part in the attacks on Sikhs by instigating the mobs as alleged against them. However, in view of their acquittal by the Court, no further action is recommended against them.

Shri Trilok Singh has made serious allegations against the police, particularly, against DCP Amodh Kanth and Station House Officer Shri S.S. Manan. He alongwith his father and other family members were residing on the second floor of house No.2176 situated in Gali No.1, Chuna Mandi, Pahar Ganj. His uncle’s family was occupying the first floor of the house. There were two shops on the ground floor. Their house was earlier attacked on 3-11-84 and therefore, their family and his uncle’s family had taken shelter in the Pahar Ganj Police Station. On being told by the police on 5-11-84 that the situation in their area was peaceful, they returned to their homes. As stated by Shri Trilok Singh, at about 6.30 p.m. he and his father noticed a crowd near their house. His uncle who has a telephone at his house informed the police for help whereupon ASI Dev Raj with some constables came to their house. ASI Dev Raj left at about 7 p.m. telling them that he was posting some constables and home guards outside their house and therefore they should not worry. After some time he went down to serve tea to the policemen but he found that they were not there. So his father went out of the house to find out if they were there or had gone away. Immediately thereafter he heard shouts “kill the Sikhs”. The mob then started throwing stones at their house. His uncle opened fire to keep the mob away. As a result thereof the mob did retreat. Within a short time more policemen and army men arrived. So his uncle stopped firing. Inspite of that there was firing from outside by the military and the police. The police and the army stopped firing after sometime and then made all their family members to come out of the house and sit on the road. One of them fired a shot at Narinder Singh who was his uncle’s relatives. The policemen beat them with lathis. Thereafter they were made to sit in a truck and taken to Daryaganj Police Station. They were kept in a lock up throughout the night. They were not given any food. They were all sent to jail on the next day at about 8 p.m. They remained in jail till 14-11-84. It is also the grievance of the witness that a false case was registered against them by the police for resorting to firing and killing Mangal and Kishan Bahadur Gurang, though as a matter of fact, they were killed in cross firing between police and the army. His further grievance is though Central Forensic Science Laboratory’s (CFSL) report dated 26-2-85 was received by the police on 30-4-85 clearly indicating that Kishan Bahadur Gurang had not died as a result of any bullet fired from the weapons seized from their house, the government continued to pursue the case for three more years and that no action was taken against the policemen. While giving evidence before this Commission Trilok Singh has further stated that he had withdrawn his affidavit filed earlier because of threats given by the police. In his further affidavit and while giving evidence before this Commission he has repeated the allegations made against the police.

In his written explanation, Shri Amodh Kanth has denied the allegations made against him and the other policemen. Shri S.S. Manan has also submitted written explanation and denied those allegations. Shri S.S. Manan was also examined as a witness (Witness No.79). They have not stated why those allegations have been made against them but they have stated that the full version given by those witnesses is not correct. According to their version Shri S.S. Manan received information regarding firing by some Sikhs in Chuna Mandi area at about 8 p.m. while he was patrolling some other area. So he rushed to that place. He saw that some Sikhs were firing and throwing brick-bats from the roof top of house No.2176 and as a result thereof people were running here and there in the nearby lanes. One person was found lying dead on the road. Shri S.S. Manan, therefore, appealed to those Sikhs to stop firing and surrender. It did not have any effect and the Sikhs inside the house kept on firing indiscriminately. He, therefore, in self-defence fired some shots from his revolver. He also flashed a message for immediate help. Within a short time DCP Amodh Kanth alongwith some army jawans reached that place. They also told the Sikhs to stop firing and surrender. But the Sikhs continued to fire shots. Kishan Bahadur Gurang of the army was hit by a bullet fired by the Sikhs. Only after the inmates of house No.2176 were surrounded from all the sides that they surrendered before the police. As Narinder Singh had sustained a bullet injury, he was rushed to JPN Hospital. Thereafter a joint search party consisting of police and army searched that house and recovered 4 fire arms and three swords. They also recovered 198 cartridges / blank empties of different bores. They have further explained that the subsequent report of the CFSL dated 10-4-85 did suggest that the bullets which had caused death of Mangal Singh could have come from the case of .3006 bullet, shotgun pallet or .32 revolver bullet. They have also explained that relying upon this subsequent report the District and Sessions Court had framed charges in that case and therefore it is not correct to say that the criminal case against those Sikhs was continued unjustifiably for three years. The said case was withdrawn for some other reasons and in larger public interest and not because the CFSL report did not support the prosecution.

What emerges from this and other documentary evidence on record is that the policemen who were posted near their house disappeared after some time. On seeing a big crowd pelting stones towards their house, they got frightened and started indiscriminate firing at the crowd. When ASI Dev Raj reached there he found one person lying on the road and that would suggest that he had died as a result of firing from within that house as there was no firing by any one else by that time. The version of Shri Trilok Singh and Avtar Singh that Kishan Bahadur Gurang had died as a result of cross firing between the police and the army does not appear to be correct. There was no reason for the police and the army to indulge in such cross firing. If the situation had become quiet by the time Shri Amodh Kanth and the army reached there, there was no necessity for them to resort to firing. The facts and the circumstances relating to this incident do show that firing had continued from that house and to neutralize it the police and the army had to fire towards that house. What Shri Amod Kanth has stated in this behalf appears to be more probable as the second CFSL report dated 10-04-85 does not rule out the possibility of the bullet which hit Kishan Bahadur Gurang having come from one of the fire arms ceased from that house. Large number of empties found from that house also indicate that firing from within that house was quite intensive. For all these reasons the allegations made against Shri Amod Kanth that he did not take effective steps to disperse the rioting mob but was strict with the persons who were defending themselves does not appear to be correct. The material on record further shows that Shri Amod Kanth had even opposed his superior officer Shri H.C. Jatav when the latter wanted to treat the persons who had looted articles belonging to Sikhs to be released and treated liberally. The Commission does not find any reliable material on the basis of which it can be said that DCP Shri Amod Kanth and Inspector S.S. Manan had either failed to perform their duties properly or that they had anti-Sikh attitude and therefore misused their position in treating the families of Shri Trilok Singh and his uncle.

The incidents of attack on the house of Camptain Manmohan Singh and the shop of Sahni Paints do disclose that no immediate help was given by the police to those who needed it. Shri Manmohan Singh, Shri Kripal Singh Chawla and Shri Trilok Singh’s evidence disclose that they were required to use their fire arms to defend themselves as no protection was made available to them in time by the police against the attacks on them by violent mobs.

Goto Top


On the basis of the evidence relating to the incidents which happened in this District it appeared to the Commission that the ACP Shri R.S. Malik, SI Ram Singh, ASI Amar Nath, ASI Mange Ram, ASI Raja Ram, Police Inspector Jai Bhagwan Malik, Police Inspector Durga Prasad and SI Sat Prakash had not performed their duty property. Accordingly, notices u/s 8B of Commissions of Inquiry Act, 1952 were issued to them. Out of them ASI Raja Ram could not be served with the notice as he had already expired earlier. Others were served and they have filed their replies. It also appeared to the Commission that S/Shri Jagdish Tytler, Ram Lal, Kaka Bali, Ram Chander Nagoria and Tarvinder Singh Bedi, who were all Congress (I) Leaders or workers, were in some way involved in the attacks on Sikhs or their properties in this area. Notice issued to Shri Tarvinder Singh could not be served as it was reported that he has died. Notice was not issued to Kaka Bali also as he had expired earlier. S/Shri Jagdish Tytler, Ram Chander Nagoria and Ram Lal have sent their replies.

Shri Surinder Sigh (Witness No.147), who was the Head Granthy of Gurudwara Pulbangash, situated near Azad Market while describing the attack on the Gurudwara on 1-11-84 at about 9 a.m., has stated that the mob which attacked the Gurudwara was led by Shri Jagdish Tytler who was then Congress (I) MP of the area. He has stated that Shri Jagdish Tytler had incited the mob to burn the Gurudwara and kill the Sikhs. According to his evidence the mob had thereafter attacked the Gurudwara and burnt it. One Badal Singh was also burnt alive. He has also stated that he was contacted by Shri Jagdish Tytler on 10-11-84 and asked to sign on two sheets of paper. In reply to this allegation Shri Jagdish Tytler has referred to the subsequent affidavit dated 5-8-2002 filed by this witness, wherein he has stated that he do will strive to be most comprehensive directory of Historical Gurudwaras and Non Historical Gurudwaras around the world.

The etymology of the term 'gurdwara' is from the words 'Gur (ਗੁਰ)' (a reference to the Sikh Gurus) and 'Dwara (ਦੁਆਰਾ)' (gateway in Gurmukhi), together meaning 'the gateway through which the Guru could be reached'. Thereafter, all Sikh places of worship came to be known as gurdwaras. brings to you a unique and comprehensive approach to explore and experience the word of God. It has the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Amrit Kirtan Gutka, Bhai Gurdaas Vaaran, Sri Dasam Granth Sahib and Kabit Bhai Gurdas . You can explore these scriptures page by page, by chapter index or search for a keyword. The Reference section includes Mahankosh, Guru Granth Kosh,and exegesis like Faridkot Teeka, Guru Granth Darpan and lot more.
Encyclopedias encapsulate accurate information in a given area of knowledge and have indispensable in an age which the volume and rapidity of social change are making inaccessible much that outside one's immediate domain of concentration.At the time when Sikhism is attracting world wide notice, an online reference work embracing all essential facets of this vibrant faithis a singular contribution to the world of knowledge.