Faridkot, the capital town of the erstwhile princely State of Faridkot, is the headquarters of a district named after it. The city owes its name to the famous Muslim mystic poet Baba Farid whose work has found place in Holy Granth Sahib. The legend runs that when Baba Farid came to this place he was drafted as a laborer on the construction of the fort. The basket, which he was given to carry the earth, floated without any visible support. On seeing this divine revelation Sheikh Farid was allowed to depart. In his honor the town was renamed as Faridkot. There is a tomb of baba Farid called ‘Chila Baba Farid’.
The town of Faridkot has been the focal point in the struggle for national independence. ‘Jaitu Ka Morcha’ at a distance of about 30km from Faridkot is a well-known event of the freedom struggle.
Faridkot has many fine buildings, foremost among them being the former Secretariat building now housing the District Courts, Guest House, Clock Tower, Darbar Ganj and the stadium. The former ruler’s palace is situated inside the town and there is also a fort.
30 kms. from Faridkot the Gurudwara, center of an annual fair, celebrates the victory that the Akali volunteers had won over the British in 1923 against govt. interference in Akhand Path, continued recitation of the Sikh Scripture. The peaceful agitation became a watershed in India’s freedom struggle. Pandit Nehru had courted arrest here.