If there is one thing that Indian cuisine is incomplete without, it’s the Coconut Chutney! which has been adapted in Punjabi cuisine .It can spice up & increase the flavour of any dish. Be it a dosa, idli or even uttapam; coconut chutney is the perfect accompaniment. If you love coconut, then you would love this nutty & creamy side dish recipe. Prepared using blended raw coconut, chana dal and tamarind; this coconut chutney recipe has a little sweet flavour along with a tad bit spicy. This chutney recipe can be made in just 20-minutes. So, if you are preparing dosa, idli or vada for your meals, give this quick and easy coconut chutney recipe a try. The mustard seeds along with curry leaves are tempered in a little oil and then poured on the blended coconut mix. Ginger and green chillis add a nice flavour to this easy chutney recipe. You can pair this chutney with other South Indian dishes like Paniyaram, Appam, Upma and Pongal. Making this traditional south Indian coconut chutney at home has its own benefits. The best part is that you can keep a check on the quality of the ingredients. If you are someone who loves experimenting fusion recipes then you can use it as a nice dip, a sandwich spread or also as a dressing. However, this quick south Indian chutney is a flavoursome treat and goes well with many other recipes. You can serve it with tea-time snacks like Rice Chakli, Dal Vada or Sambar Vada. To give this chutney a nice creamier touch, you can add some fresh cream this will add a nice smooth texture. This traditional South Indian delicacy can be paired with any dish. If you are a spice lover, then while preparing this delicacy to add some green chillies and blend it along with the coconut and other ingredients, this will give a beautiful greenish tint to the chutney while accentuating the taste. So next time you want to pair something delicious with your boring meals, then try this lip-smacking coconut chutney and relish with your loved ones!
- 1 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Dry Red Chilies
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tsp Urad Daal
- 1 Dry piece tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Heeng
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Grate the coconuts.
- In a pan heat the oil & add 1 tsp of urad dal & chilies. Fry for a minute. Let it cool completely .
- Add the tamarind, sugar, heeng & coconut & grind it to a fine paste.
- Do the seasoning with the other tsp of urad dal , mustard seeds in a tsp of oil.
- To make this coconut chutney more flavourful, you can add mint, lemon juice, garlic, and even coriander leaves in the chutney.
- If you want your chutney to be spicier, add some finely chopped green chillies or a pinch of red chilli powder as per your taste preference.
- It is recommended to use freshly grated coconut for the best flavour in this chutney.
- You can add a bunch of coriander or 3-4 Kashmiri red chillies or 1/2 cup mint or half cup cubed raw mango etc. to prepare interesting variations of this coconut chutney.