Tamarind Chutney or Imli ki Chutney is a sour and tangy sauce made from Tamarind extract and simmered in a jaggery base. It is an essential part of most Indian chaats like Papdi Chaat, Bhel Puri etc and can also be consumed with Samosas and Pakodas. Tamarind besides adding up to the taste of almost all the India snacks has many heathy benefits too. It protects your heart health, manages diabetes, boosts immunity and improves digestion. It has a sweet and sour taste which will leave your taste buds delighted.
- 1 cup Tamarind
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 2-3 Cloves
- 2 cups Warm Water
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Remove the seeds from tamarind and soak it in water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cloves. Fry for about 30 secs.
- After half an hour, take out the pulp from the tamarind and add jaggery, sugar, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, cloves and salt.
- Cook the tamarind mixture for 5 minutes on medium. Remove from the gas and let it cool.
- On cooling, blend the contents in a blender.
- Strain and cook until it becomes thick.