Type to search

Sikh History Timeline

Today in Sikh History – 5th November


5th November


1675 Guru Tegh Bahadhur Patshah Ji was taken to Delhi in an iron cage. Guru Tegh Bahadhur along with Dewan Mati Das, Sati Das, and Dayal Das, were taken into custody on July 12, 1675 and taken to Sirhind where he was tortured while in detention. Upon reaching Delhi, the Subedar of Delhi and the royal Qazi formally went into the motion of offering them the options of showing miracles, accepting Islam or face death. Guru Sahib and the accompaning Disciples refused the first two options and were ready for the third.

Bhai Mati Das was tied between two logs and cut into twain with a saw, Dayal Das was boiled to death in a cauldron of hot water, while Sati Das was roasted alive with cotton wrapped around his body. Guru Tegh Bahadhur, after witnessing martyrdom of the three disciples, was beheaded on Nov. 11, 1675.

1840 Maharaja Khadak Singh, the first Prince designate of Maharaja Ranjit Singh died of slow poisoning. He was administered dozes of white lead in wine at the instance of Dhian Singh. The Dogra brothers had hatched a conspiracy to kill all the eligible princes of the Maharaja.

At the cremation of Maharaja Kharak Singh, Prince Nau Nihal Singh, while walking under an archway was seriously injured by falling stones. Udham Singh, son of Gulab Singh, walking with him died instantaneously. Dhian Singh who was following them was badly bruised. Prince Nau Nihal Singh died of injuries.

Dhian Singh’s record is so dark and dirty in intrigues and murders, that all historians agree on his capability to carry out the same. His keeping even the mother of the prince away from the injured son, throws serious doubts over his creditability.

1920 Khalsa College was handed over to a Panthic College Committee.
1978 Killing of Sikhs took place in Delhi. The Delhi police fired at a Sikh protest procession and killed four Sikhs including the President of the Akali Party’s Delhi unit, Jathaedar Awtar Singh Kohli, Sardar Mohinder Singh, and Sardar Gobind Singh. The police sieged three Sikh shrines of Delhi. Entrance to the Sikh shrines was banned after a period of 200 years. The curfew around the Sikh shrines was not lifted until November 7 when a secret Akali meeting decided to send a band of the senior-most Akali Ministers of the Punjab to violate the curfew orders.

-Ref. THE SIKHS’ STRUGGLE FOR SOVEREIGNTY, An Historical Perspective By Dr. Harjinder Singh Dilgeer and Dr. Awatar Singh Sekhon Edited By: A.T. Kerr Page 110-119


Leave a Comment