GURDWARA SAHIB LAHAT, IPOH, PERAK
31500 Lahat, Ipoh, Perak
The earliest Sikhs who resided in the Lahat area were mostly tin mine workers and dairy farmers while a few of them had bullock carts. These Sikhs built their Gurdwara Sahib in Jalan Pengkalan Lahat around the 1920s. Due to the communist insurgency, the Sikhs were resettled in the Lahat New Village around 1950. This old Gurdwara Sahib was vacated at this time.
Around 1948, the Sikhs in Lahat built the present Gurdwara Sahib building. This single storey semi brick and wooden structure with a zinc roof was built at a cost of Malayan $2,000.00. The Holy Book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, was ceremoniously placed in this Gurdwara Sahib and a jormela (religious programme) was held during this occasion.
In the 1960s, there were about 30 Sikh families residing in Lahat village. Over the years, several families have left for greener pastures. There are presently about 15 Sikh families still residing in Lahat. Bhai Gurdial Singh Gill Village Kambo Dhaiwala, Amritsar served as a Granthi in this Gurdwara Sahib from the mid 1930s to the mid 1940s.
The Management Committee consists of the President, Secretary, Treasurer, their assistants and nine committee members. The normal religious programme is held once a month on the Sangrand day from 8.00a.m. to 9.00a.m. Other religious programmes are held as and when necessary at the request of the Sikh Sangat.