1 1/4 cup gramflour
1 1/4 cup plain flour (maida)
250 gms. ghee
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup water
2 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. cardamom seeds crushed coarsely
2 tsp. charmagaz (combination of 4 types of seeds) refer glossary
4 squares cut from a thin polythene sheet
Sift both flours together.
Heat ghee in a heavy saucepan.
Add flour mixture and roast on low till light golden.
Keep aside to cool a little, stirring occasionally.
Prepare syrup simultaneously.
Make syrup out of sugar, water and milk
Following are the steps shown to make sugar syrup (chashni) in the right way.
- Take sugar and water in the ratio of 2 : 1 1/2 unless other wise mentioned.
- Put both in a deep saucepan to boil, stirring occasionally.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, add 1/2 cup milk.
- When a thick scum is formed on the surface of syrup, it is time to strain.
- Always use a metal strainer or moist cloth to strain the hot syrup, never plastic.
- Put back to boil, checking the consistency required as above.
- Check frequently, because once the first thread forms, it proceeds to thicken to the next stages very quickly.
- Use as required in the recipe.
Bring syrup to 2 1/2 thread consistency.
Pour at once into the flour mixture.
Beat well with a large fork till the mixture forms threadlike flakes.
Pour onto a greased surface or thali and roll to 1 thickness lightly.
Sprinkle the charmagaz seeds and elaichi and gently press down with palm.
Cool, cut into 1 squares, wrap individually into square pieces of thin plastic sheet.
Store in airtight container.
Making time: 45 minutes
Makes: 20 pieces (approx.)
Shelflife: 2 weeks