. A popular Indian sweet made with besan (gram flour), Motichoor ladoos, laddoos or laddus are loved by people of all ages.
2 1/2 cups gram flour (not superfine variety)
2 1/2 cups sugar
- Put sugar and water in a vessel and boil.
- When sugar dissolves, add milk.
- Boil for 5 minutes till scum forms on top.
- Strain and return to fire.
- Add colour and boil till sticky but no thread has formed.
- Add cardamom powder and mix. Keep aside.
- Mix flour and milk to a smooth batter.
- Heat ghee in a heavy frying pan.
- Hold strainer on top with one hand.
- With the other pour some batter all over the holes.
- Tap gently till all batter has fallen into hot ghee.
- Stir with another strainer and remove when light golden.
- Keep aside. Repeat for remaining batter.
- Immerse boondi in syrup.
- Drain any excess syrup.
- Spread in a large plate. Sprinkle few tsp. hot water over it.
- Cover and keep for 5 minutes.
- Shape in laddoos with moist palms.
- Cool and keep open to dry, before storing in containers.
Making time: 1 hour
Makes: 25 pieces
Shelflife: 3-4 days outside (room temperature); 2 weeks refrigerated